Saturday, November 6, 2010

Storing Seed until the Sping


The Harvest is now, mostly over. The seeds that I've intended to save have been taken in and dried for a week or two, and are now hard enough to chance surviving through to spring. How I store them will increase the chance of the seeds remaining alive through the winter.

They must be kept dry, because water activates them to come alive, and grow, not something that you want them to do this time of year. I collect packs of silica to keep them dry. Silica comes in boxes of almost anything manufactured in the tropics, so feel free to politely harass retail stores to keep some for you, I get mine from my partners Bike Shop, but electronic stores are also a good bet, or I've noticed they come with packs of Nori. Silica is also reusable, empty it out of the paper packages unto a baking sheet and dry it in the oven at a super low heat.

Most Seed you buy comes in paper envelopes, and you could make your own envelopes really inexpensively, but I prefer using clean small glass jars, like the type that used to house jam, or artichoke hearts. These keep my seed really protected and look so pretty.

Besides protecting your seeds from water you also want to consider protecting them from extreme heat, extreme cold and light. Some of the experts recommend keeping your seed in the fridge, but with three grocery shoppers in my house this is not possible. Instead, they will be stored in a box on a self in a cool indoor storage closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment