Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cold Outside, Warm Inside


We woke to snow on Saturday. Vancouver hasn't seen snow in two years, so it was exciting. As the winter solstice is one month away and there is still snow on the ground, I was inspired to warm the inside of my house. Spices are my favourite to warm the senses, I always cook with copious amounts of ginger and cumin in the cold months, and we just automatically started drinking chai instead of orange pekoe as soon as the temperature dropped outside. I decided to follow the trend and make a part edible, part aromatic, part illuminating centerpiece for our table.
It worked out really nicely, I had two older mandarin's that I wasn't inspired to eat and a bag full of cloves from lasts years apple cider experiment. I pierced the oranges with the cloves in pretty designs, the juice from the orange reinvigorated the cloves, causing a gentle waft of aroma. I laid them on a bed of leftover U-pick Hazelnuts, and Walnuts I bought from this weeks Farmers Market, then I put them with some very old star anise, and some new pink pepper and cardamom pods, and voila! It smells amazing.
Hopefully it will inspire us to snack on the nuts in the coming days too.
Have a Peaceful, Warm and Spicy Full Moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment