Sunday, November 7, 2010

The First Winter Market


The Vancouver Farmers Markets have been steadily increasing in popularity over the last few years, not just in the summer months but over the Winter as well. In fact the winter market, which used to be held only twice a month in a small community hall, has grown this year into a weekly fair in the parking lot for Nat Bailey Stadium, which conveniently is in my neighbourhood.

My sister and I walked the baby over yesterday and found an abundance of farm fresh local food to tempt us. There were walnuts and hazelnuts, greens like dandelion and chicory, parsley, kale, broccoli sprouts, beats, carrots, spuds, apples, pears, mushrooms, squashes and so much more. I was surprised to even buy some of the last field ripened heirloom tomatoes of the season. I will be keeping an eye on what they continue to offer throughout the winter, and challenging myself to make a few meals out of whats in season. Go see them yourself at www.eatlocal.org
This is what we bought, it is $30 worth of veg, which may seem pricey but I look at it as 1 stir fry. 1 salsa, 2 salads and 1.5 dips, all made from ingredients so fresh that they can sit in my fridge for two weeks and still be fresher than what I buy a the supermarket. Doesn't strike me as overpriced.

First Winter Market Salad
Serves 6 Big Eaters

1 Large bunch Red Russian Kale
2 medium sized bulbs Florence Fennel sliced into matchsticks
2 small sized Beets sliced into thin halfmoons
1 lrg carrot sliced into thin disks
2 Shallots sliced into thin circles
1 Asian Pear, cored and cut into thin slices

Toss with
Apple Honey Mustard Dressing
Mix Well:
1 part Apple Cider Vinegar
1 part Olive Oil
Generous dallop of liquid Honey
Generous Squirt Dijon Mustard
Black Sesame Seeds for looks

No comments:

Post a Comment