Tuesday, November 2, 2010

City Gardens, City Neighbours



I believe Urban Gardening offers a future to agriculture and civilization. But it doesn't come without its problems, most of which derive from the BIG problem we are all facing, WASTE (aka pollution, litter, garbage.)
Most people have heard of The Broken Window Theory, I feel that it very much applies to Urban Gardening.
Flower gardens and Food gardens are different in their function, but also in their appearance, and in the wintertime, a food garden can look a little disheveled. I have found it important to keep my food gardens looking clean and neat, just to keep the neighbours respecting them. Somehow, sometimes, it happens that I get a little behind on cleaning up a bed and making it look neat and maintained, it never seems to take long until the garbage begins to accumulate. This fall one of my neighbours seems to have mistook my dead stand of quinoa as an inviting dumping ground for their excess bamboo clippings, I guess their Yard Trimmings Bin was full.
Its a piss off when stuff like this happens, but a nice reminder to keep everything looking spruced up. Because it can get much worse, digging up and around broken beer bottles is common in city gardens, finding doggy bags (not from restaurants) and cigarette butts is expected. But this spring, we cleaned up a "hobo" nest that was across the alley from my garden, and we found needles in it. Not what you want to see near to where so many children play. We will clean up any extra garbage around because we want to show people we respect this space, and hope that they will too.


No comments:

Post a Comment