Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Peaches!!!

This is harvest time. And for me it is the busiest time of the year.
I had a late night recently, where I canned some peaches in syrup. Big buys are always cheaper, talk directly to a farmer if you can, these were bought at the farm in the Okanagan, and all of these peaches cost $20. The snap lids for the jars cost $2.50, so all together I paid only $22.50 for 12 cans of organic peaches. I'm happy, since this is my two year olds favourite treat.

Peeling them and slicing them are probably the hardest part of the job, luckily my sister helped out.
The slices are placed in sterilized jars and I pour hot syrup on them (sugar dissolved in water, I make it light, 1cup sugar to 10 cups water.)
I let them process in my water bath canner for 40 minutes, and then let them cool overnight.
These jars are too high in demand and won't last long, but its worth it for me, I love doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment