Friday, August 5, 2011

The Experiments Continue...

Way back in May, I went to VanDusen's Plant sale, where I found a very special plant...
Originating in China, a country who for years held the monopoly on this plant, which quickly became a global commodity, rumoured to have been responsible for the creation of the British empire, the dried leaves, pressed into a brick have been used as currency.
Of course, China lost its monopoly on Camellia sinensis, once a variety was discovered that grew well in Assam India. Since then a few other strains have emerged, the one I bought does well in Russia, so hopefully here as well.
Most tea growers wait until there plants are three years old before they harvest. I got really excited after seeing this documentary All in this Tea ...
...and I also figured, based on the size of my plant, that it was at least two and a half years old. So, a few weeks ago, once small leaf buds started to emerge, I started plucking them off.
 
I got an alright handful,...

 Into the steamer I put them
 then onto a rack to dry in the oven, at 250 degrees F for 20 minutes
At this point they were looking and smelling like green tea, I was hopeful.
But the results were weak, tasteless with sad colour. 
Oh well, thats why it was an experiment. 
Tea is the stuff of ceremony for a reason, it is hard to perfect. The bug has bitten and I think I will keep trying to get my own, nice cup of garden grown caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment