Saturday, October 9, 2010

Zucchini!, or is it Courgette?

3 Zucchinis and a Cucumber

Zucchini, or Courgette if you're a brit, is the most simple and abundant vegetable a gardener can grow, I absolutely recommend it if you are just starting on this veg growing path and don't want to be completely heart broken year after year.  2010 was not a great year to grow Zucchini, too cold and wet and short, and from 2 plants we still got 7.85Kg of fruit, thats a lot. In fact my grandma, who moved from the city to a farm in the country, once told me that in the summer in the country, if you don't lock your car doors you'll wake up in the morning with a car filled with Zucchini. Haha, doesn't sound that bad, this veg is versatile. I do have a recipe to share, but first a bit of the back story...
I planted the seeds on April 17th, the variety was named Ambassador, and I bought the packet from www.westcoastseeds.com they sprouted within a week under the lights.
On May 15th they were ready to be transplanted out. I put them in a bed that had been heavily amended with sea soil, manure and coconut coir. 
And then the flowers started forming, the bees did their thing and Voila! July 23rd we got the first one. This was the first vegetable that was ready to eat out of my garden, and I made a special and simple pasta for my partner and me, made all the more special by it being the first time I had enjoyed a glass of wine since I got pregnant. Here it is...

Zucchini Garlic Parmesan Pasta

Sautee in a light oil:
Cubed Zucchini
Diced fresh Garlic 
until lightly browned, no more than 10 minutes

Toss over Pasta with all the oil,
Garnish with Parmesan and fresh chopped Parsley if you have it

Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment