Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eggplant Experience

I tried growing Eggplant for the first time this year.
Generally, Vancouver is considered too cold to grow Eggplants without protection.  I, however, have a south facing balcony, with a black floor and a white wall, which I theorize would create a balmy microclimate, perhaps more similar to dreamy California than gloomy Van.
Since this was my first time growing Eggplant, I bought seedlings instead of starting from seed, I decided to try two different varieties, a small "Japanese" variety, and a bigger variety called "Dusky."

This is the Japanese variety (far left, sage in the middle, and rosemary on the right)as I was hardening off the seedling, this is the pot and place it was to stay all summer long.

This is the flowers the Japanese variety made

This is the "Dusky variety, it is much larger, sadly the season either wasn't long, or hot enough for it to do anything but create a golf ball sized fruit.

Here are the small japanese eggplants, YES!

And here are half of what the plant produced, ready to be cooked and eaten. My partner loves Eggplant, I grew this more for him than me, but I love growing new plants, and eating stuff that I grew. Here is what I made with it.

Eggplant Tomato Pasta Sauce

Saute
Eggplant approx 1 cup, cubed
1 Onion diced
1tsp Garam Masala or Vij's Masala if you know what that is

Add
2 cups diced tomatoes, or 1 can if you want, who's judging
1 clove garlic diced
a few leaves of chard, kale or maybe some spinach
Herbs if you have them

Serve on Pasta of your choice, garnish with Parmesan Cheese or Nutirtional Yeast

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment